- Swim appointments are for 30 minutes.
- Only dogs are allowed in the pool. You may sit and watch your dog or get more involved from the side of the pool. There are chairs on the deck for you to sit and watch. Prepare to get wet when your dog gets out of the water and shakes off!
- The pool is 8'6" X 18' X 5. When current is used, the pool becomes "endless".
- The current generator is the same as used in human pools. It is NOT a jet. It is optional and adjustable according to the abilities and goals of each individual dog. It allows them to swim in place, rather than in circles or from edge to edge, turning in between.
- There is a resting bench at the end of the pool. Periodic rests are given on an individual basis depending on the condition, age, etc of each dog.
- All dogs wear life vests for the first swim. The vests come in all sizes and are designed to not limit mobility, while having handles that assist with lifting in and out of the water and guiding while in the water. Vests will be optional for good swimmers after the first swim, but allow most dogs to actually swim with less effort for longer times.
- The pool is heated to 85 degrees. The warm temperature is helpful for arthritic conditions and helps to relax muscles and increase blood flow.
- The cement deck around the pool is heated from below. There are chairs where you can sit and relax during your dog's swim.
- Personal toys are allowed if they float! Other toys will be supplied by the pool.
- All dogs will be towel dried. On cold days they MAY also be blow dried. Heavy coated dogs may still be damp after a swim.
- Water quality is monitored daily prior to use. The water is UV light sanitized along with a low level of chlorine.
- Questionnaires are filled out prior to the evaluation.
- The evaluation consists of calculating an ideal weight, determining the number of calories/day and providing tips for home exercise.
- Maximum weight loss= 1-2% body weight/week. This is 1-2 lbs for a 100 lb dog. Oz for a small dog.
- No single weight loss diet is right for every dog. Clients may continue with smaller portions of their regular diet, but this could lead to nutritional deficiencies depending on the food. They may also continue on any prescription diet from their veterinarian. Home prepared diets will not be able to be evaluated for calorie or nutritional value. One or two dry, calorie restricted dog foods will be recommended that may be purchased from pet supply stores.
- Questionnaires are filled out prior to the evaluation.
$40 30 Minute Session
$135 Package of 4 Swims
$250 Package of 8 Swims
20% Senior Citizen (over age 60) discount can be taken on single swims in any quantity, but cannot be added to package discounts. That means a senior citizen pays $32/swim.
$50 2 dogs (same family or friends) sharing a 30 minute appointment
$75 2 dogs (same family or friends) sharing a 60 minute appointment
20% senior discounts can be applied.
Therapy swims may be partially covered by pet insurance
What People Say About K9 Swim & Trim
Gracie loved her first visit to K9 Swim & Trim, and so did we! She was a bit nervous at first, but Barbara was so gentle and patient with her in the water that she improved by the time her lesson was over! We will be taking her back for more lessons because we want her to stay active, be healthy and have fun. Thank you Barbara for being so great with our girl, we'll see you again soon!Erika Furtado, Gracie's Mom
Dr. Barb is great and very sweet with her furry patients. I think swimming is a great weight loss tool for pets!Anneliese Foy Trotcky, Pup Parent
Bocephus & I like Barb. She is very good w/my Bocephus. Professional but caring. Thanks for all your help with Bocephus' ACL rehab.Lisa Perez, Pup Parent
My dog loves coming- it keeps her fit and you helped her recover!!Lee Cera, Bella's Pup Parent
Swimming has changed Shiloh's life by giving him the needed exercise without the stress as I continue to search for someone to pinpoint his leg issue. For a dog who had never been in water he adapted well mainly due to your kindness and his sense of security with you. He trusts you to help him as do I. I'm glad I found you as our experience has been a positive one. P.S. Thank you for helping me feel better.Shiloh and Dawn Rumoro
Sophie has been swimming with Barb once a week for a year. I was recommended to K9 Swim & Trim from my vet, Dr. Dowd. Sophie is a high energy Lab/Shepherd mix who has developed arthritis in her knees to the point she was having trouble walking up/down our deck stairs in the backyard. She also had decreased activity endurance and couldn't hike with me our usual 4 mile hike on weekends. The swim with Barb improved Sophie's hiking endurance to the point she completed her 4 mile hike with my husband & myself last Oct 2015. She no longer has trouble with our deck steps. The weekly swim time has improved her hip muscle strength and hip flexibility tremendously. Thank you Barb for helping our dog become a part of our lives again.
Gumbo had a great time swimming today! It was an excellent workout for her. I wish we lived closer so we could bring her in more often.Jamie Sariyavong, Gumbo's Mom
Because of you I'm the dog I was supposed to be. I can do things now that 6 months ago seemed impossible. Thank you for your help.Doug Ploen for Riley, Riley's Owner
Dear Barb, The family of King thanks you so much for all you have done for our dog. I know you were the one that fixed his leg. You have no idea how grateful we are to you. You do great work with the dogs. King loves you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Dr. Barb is very patient and caring with her patients (even though water may not be their thing). I would highly recommend her.Kathy Muruato